Sacha Baron Cohen: Banned from appearing at Oscars as 'The Dictator'?
Thursday 23, February 2012
Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen is the subject of confusion as to whether he has been banned from this year's Academy Awards.
The versatile performer reportedly put a proposal to the Academy stating that he would walk the Oscars red carpet dressed as spoof character General Aladeen before changing into a tuxedo for the awards ceremony.
Oscar's event organisers have said that they do not agree with his plans to appear as his character from new movie The Dictator but is still welcome, while studio Paramount Pictures claims that he has effectively been banned from Sunday night's awards.
As an Academy spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter: "We haven't banned him. We're just waiting to hear what he's going to do.
"We don't think it's appropriate, but his tickets haven't been pulled. We're waiting to hear back."
However, a representative from Paramount told Deadline earlier on Wednesday (February 23): "Unless they're assured that nothing entertaining is going to happen on the red carpet, the Academy is not admitting Sacha Baron Cohen to the show."
The sources of the publication claim that a senior Academy Awards staff member contacted Paramount's awards team to say that Baron Cohen would not be allowed to have his ticket back unless he promised organisers that he would not arrive in costume.
Although, Baron Cohen, who is an Academy member and appears in 'Best Picture' nominee Hugo - has reportedly refused to assure them that he will not turn up in character and will not promote the movie on the red carpet.
In the past, the actor did not attend 2007's Oscars after he was told he could not present an award in character as Borat.
In 2011, anonymous graffiti artist Banksy was told that he could not attend the Oscars in disguise. He was nominated for the 'Documentary Feature' award.