In the first movie, a group of teenagers return to a summer camp to prepare it for reopening. Many years earlier, a young boy called Jason drowned at a summer camp, and shortly thereafter, the two counselors responsible were murdered by an unknown assailant, after which the camp was closed. One by one, the new counsellors are brutally murdered, it transpires, by Jason's mother, Pamela.
In the second film, it's revealed that Jason had been living as a hermit in the woods next to the camp since he supposedly drowned. To avenge his mother, he hacks and slashes through numerous other victims at the camp. He continues to do so in eight of the nine further sequels. The exception is the fifth film in the series, where the serial killer is merely a copycat of Jason, rather than the man himself.
In the ending to Jason Goes To Hell, the hand of Freddy Krueger, the evil protagonist from the Nightmare on Elm Street series of films, is seen pulling Jason's hockey mask into the ground. This became the inspiration to make the eleventh film in the Jason series, Freddy vs. Jason. The movie came about because New Line Cinema had acquired the rights to both films sequels in the early 1990s.
Friday the 13th (movie) - The film series
1. Friday the 13th (1980)
2. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
3. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
4. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
5. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
6. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
7. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
9. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)*
10. Jason X (2002)
11. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)