Last Editor: Magyarbajusz
Mariah Carey Biography -
|Name :||Mariah Carey|
Birth bate :
27 March 1970
Birth place :
Huntington, New York, USA
5' 9" (1.75 m)
Oldfield Middle School, Harborfields High School (graduated in 1987)
Actress, singer, song writer
Mariah Carey Trivia -
- With her song "Touch My Body," Mariah Carey has surpassed the
legendary film persona, Elvis Presley for the ‘No. 1 singles on the
Billboard singles chart’ (April, 2008).
- Trade Marks:
* Beauty mark just below her mouth.
* Labels her albums, videos, photographs, and clothing with butterflies.
* Spectacular range spanning 5 octaves.
* Sings in long, intricate phrases in the Whistle register range (as
heard on such songs as 'Emotions', 'Anytime you Need a Friend', 'Dreamlover',
Bliss' and 'O Holy Night', etc.)
- Bought Marilyn Monroe's white lacquered baby grand piano at auction in October,
1999 for $600,000 plus commission.
- Her highest octave is two octaves higher than normal soprano.
- Got her name from the song "They Call The Wind Maria" (spelled
'Maria' without the H, but pronounced 'Mariah'). The popular Lerner &
Loewe musical Paint Your Wagon (1969), starring Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood,
which was enjoying a great deal of success after its release in 1969, and
the song containing Mariah's name, was a favorite of mother Patricia.
- Worked a variety of odd jobs to support herself, including hat/coat-checker,
hostess, hair sweeper in hair salons, and waitress. She stated that she got
fired from all her jobs because of her attitude and was concentrating of becoming
a backing singer and mixing demos.
- Dated Latin singer Luis Miguel.
- Attended Oldfield Middle School and Harborfield High School.
- Father is Black/Venezuelan American. Mother is White Irish-American.
- In 1999 Mariah won the Horizon Award at the Congressional Foundation Awards
for her work with and for children.
- The only female artist (and third artist or group ever) to have 17 #1 songs
on the US Billboard Hot 100 charts.
- Made her singing debut, age 20. 
- Had the nickname "Mirage" in high school, because she never showed
up for class.
- According to her spokesperson, Mariah suffered a physical and emotional
breakdown, and spent the next couple weeks recovering in a Connecticut mental
hospital. [25 July 2001]
- Appeared on the benefit concert "A Tribute To Heroes" and sang
the song "Hero" in dedication to the families, friends, victims,
and heroes of the World Trade Center tragedy. [September 2001]
- Signed an $80 million deal with Virgin Records for her next four albums.
- Founder of Camp Mariah, a serene escape located in Fishkill, New York for
inner-city youth to embrace the arts, introduce career opportunities, and
- Named one of People Magazine's '25 Most Intriguing People of 2001'.
- Virgin Records bought out her $80 million contract for $28 million. The
primary reason being the failure of her Glitter (2001) album and film. [26
- Single 'One Sweet Day' holds the record for the single staying most weeks
at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (a record 16 weeks)
- She is in 2nd place among all artists with the most No. 1s in music history,
tying Elvis Presley's in second place with a total of 17 #1 hits, with The
Beatles remaining in first place with 20.
- Owns a three floor apartment in New York City
- Signed a three-album deal with Island/Def Jam records for a reported $21-24
million. She had already started work on a new album, which had no release
date at that point. Meanwhile, WiseGirls (2002), her movie with Mira Sorvino,
premiered on HBO in the fall of 2002. [May 2002]
- Voted in at #36 in FHM's Sexiest Girls of 2002 poll, American edition.
- Her seventh studio album, titled 'Charmbracelet', will be released on December
3, 2002, a week earlier than originally planned.
- Is the most successful female singer-songwriter of all time, with 17 #1
hits and more than 160 million records sold worldwide.
- Measurements: 34BC-22-35 (before implants in 1998). (Source: Celebrity Sleuth
- Her paternal Venezuelan grandfather's name was Francisco Nuñez. He
changed his last name Nuñez to Carey after moving to New York City;
he hoped an American name would help him make a good life in the US. He took
the name Carey from his biological father. Francisco's mother Margarita Nuñez
was with a man named Carey, but they were not married.
- Used to be a backup singer for Brenda Starr.
- The first single from the Glitter (2001) soundtrack, "Loverboy,"
was the #1 best selling single in the year 2001.
- Has worked with an extensive amount of musicians, including: Brian McKnight,
Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Cam'ron, Carole King, Céline
Dion, Michael Jackson, 98 Degrees, Joe, Da Brat, Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott,
Aretha Franklin, Shania Twain and many, many more.
- She has twice recorded Phil Collins' song "Against All Odds",
initially on her album "Rainbow" and then a collaboration with Westlife
hit number one in the UK in 2000.
- Her mother Patricia Hickey is a former mezzo-soprano New York City opera
singer and a freelance vocal coach. Patricia was also Mariah's vocal coach.
Her father Alfred Roy Carey was an aeronautical engineer.
- Her highest note thus far was a G#7 (a few keys from the top of a piano)
hit during two live performances of "Emotions" in 1991. Also, she
has hit an A2 in her 1998 hit "My All," verifying her 5-octave range.
Also, celebrity vocal coach Mark Baxter says that he has heard Mariah sing
past the top note on the piano.
- Her siblings are Alison and Morgan, and are significantly older by eight
- Mariah writes and co-writes as well as produces and co-produces her own
songs, including all of her number one hits (with the exception of her cover
of "I'll Be There").
- Her wedding to Tommy Mottola was modeled after the royal wedding of Prince
Charles and Princess Diana. Her excuse for using the royal wedding as basis
for her own was that she never really had much interest in weddings as a girl,
and she wanted to know what such a gala affair should be like. Even the tiara
she wore, a family heirloom, was redesigned to look like Princess Diana's.
Her wedding dress was an ivory-silk duchess satin gown designed by Vera Wang,
with a 8.25 m (27') train and matching satin pumps. The whole affair cost
almost $US0.5M, not including the 1893 sixpence Mariah put in one of her shoes
- With "Heartbreaker," the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow,
she became the only artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s.
- Made music history when "Fantasy" (from her 1995 album Daydream)
became a #1. With "Fantasy", Mariah became the first female artist
to debut at number one in the U.S. on the Billboard Hot 100s. "Heartbreaker,"
the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow became her 14#1 single, and with
"Heartbreaker", it marked Mariah's 60th week atop the charts, which
broke a long-standing 59-week record established by the Beatles as the artist
with the most weeks at #1 in the 41-year history of the Billboard's Hot 100.
"Thank God I Found You" also from Rainbow album was her 15 #1. "We
Belong Together" from her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi became
her 16th #1 single, is also Hot 100's Greatest Airplay Gainer, and moved to
#1 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart to become her ninth #1 chart topper
there. It is also her first #1 without any guest artists since her song "My
All" captured the top spot in May 1998. "Don't Forget About Us"
became her 17th#1 single, tying her with Elvis Presley's 17 #1 singles.
- Some of her prestigious awards include 5 Grammies, numerous grammy nominations,
numerous Radio Music Awards, many American Music Awards, Billboard's "Artist
of the Decade" Award and the World Music Award for "World's Best
Selling Female Artist of the Millennium" to name a few.
- Her mother Patricia discovered Mariah's talent in 1972 while rehearsing
at home for her New York City Opera debut as Maddalena in Verdi's Rigoletto.
Patricia said, "From the time Mariah was a tiny girl. she sang on true
pitch; she was able to hear sound and duplicate it exactly. I missed my cue,
but Mariah didn't. She sang it - in Italian - at exactly the right point.
She wasn't even yet 3." From then on, Patricia began coaching Mariah.
- Some of her albums feature the serif typeface friz quadrata.
- Ranked #47 in Askmen's "Most Desirable Woman" (2001)
- Ranked #99 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women" (2001)
- Ranked #17 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women" (2000)
- Some of her musical influences include Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Minnie
Riperton and Stevie Wonder.
- The Emancipation Of Mimi, named the biggest-selling album of 2005, generated
an all-time career-high 8 Grammy nominations for Mariah. The album includes
Mariah's 16th and 17th #1 career singles, "We Belong Together" and
"Don't Forget About Us," respectively - which tied one of the most
enduring chart records in Billboard Hot 100 history, Elvis Presley's 17 #1's.
Mariah is now positioned as the only active recording artist in the 47 years
of the Hot 100 (which began in 1958) with the potential to match or surpass
the Beatles' all- time high 20 #1 hits.
- For the first time in history, a non current song, "All I want for
Christmas is you" (1994) reached the #1 spot in the Digital Songs and
Tracks the week of December 22th 2005.
- Was among the guests at Usher Raymond's 26th birthday party.
- Her godmother is Patti LaBelle
- Named #15 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005" special
- Her longest note is in her song "Lead the Way", where she holds
a note for about 21 seconds long. In full-voice (no Whistle) she can sing
up to G6, as in the song "You're So Cold" where she Ad-Libs down
to F2 (two notes lower than the A2 in 'My All') and back up to F6, seconds
later, she hits F7# in the Whistle register.
- Studied over 500 hours of beauty school and hair salon prior to becoming
- Composes all of her own material, except for song covers.
- Named #28 in FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006"
- Gave acclaimed performances at State Kremlin Palace, Moscow, and in St.
Petersburg, Russia, in 2003.
- The first presents that Mariah indulged herself, were a Ford Mustang convertible
and an apartment with a stunning view in New York's Upper East Side on the
21st floor of a high-rise building. She decorated it with her idol's posters
(Marilyn Monroe) and lived there with her two cats Ninja and Thompkins.
- Use to be a vegetarian but stopped for ex-husband Tommy Mottola.
- Ranked #19 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- According to some reports, insured her body for $10M during the shooting
of Glitter (2001).
- Is mentioned in the Vanessa Hudgens song, 'Promise' and the Freeway song
Mariah Carey Detailed Biography -
Born in Long Island, NY, as the daughter of a former opera singer and vocal coach -- and named after the song "They Call the Wind Mariah" from the popular Lerner and Loewe musical Paint Your Wagon - Mariah began singing at the age of four, and was writing her own songs by the time she was attending Oldfield Middle School. She moved to New York City, the day after graduating from high school. Honing her songwriting skills and lending her vocals to several local acts, she first garnered industry attention when singing backup for Brenda K. Starr, who gave Mariah's demo tape to Sony Music Entertainment chief Tommy Mottola at a party. As legend has it, Mottola played the demo on his ride home and ordered his driver to immediately return to the party so that he could meet the young singer. Soon afterwards, Mottola signed Mariah to a Columbia Records contract.
Mariah has since become the best-selling female performer of all time, with an incredible 15 #1 singles and two Grammy Awards. Along the way she became the only artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s, and, with "Heartbreaker," she pushed ahead of the Beatles as the artist with the most cumulative weeks spent atop Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart.
Mariah has proven that she is equally at home with sweeping ballads and pop, often incorporating elements of dance and hip-hop into the mix. Perhaps even more impressive, she composes all of her own material. In May 2002, Mariah signed an exclusive recording contract with the Universal Music Group's Island. Carey has formed her own label, MonarC Music. Mariah's new album features the songstress writing and co-producing with such a-list names as Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and Jermaine Dupri among others. The album, which is lyrically very personal, showcases Mariah's stunning voice, prolific songwriting and incredible versatility. This is fully evident on the first single, the sweeping epic ballad, "Through The Rain" which is a perfect example of what Mariah does best.
Mariah's self-titled Columbia debut, released in 1990, spawned an extraordinary four #1 singles: "Vision of Love," "Love Takes Time," "Someday" and "I Don't Wanna Cry," and led to Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist. The following year's album, Emotions, was another smash, with the title track scoring her fifth consecutive #1 single and two other titles - "Can't Let Go" and "Make It Happen" - reaching the Top Five. Her next release, 1992's MTV Unplugged EP, scored another #1 with her cover of the Jackson 5's "I'll Be There." Music Box (1993) became her biggest seller to date, with "Dreamlover" and "Hero" again topping the charts, and was followed by 1994's Merry Christmas, which contained another hit with "All I Want for Christmas is You." Daydream (1995) contained the club-friendly "Fantasy," which debuted at #1 - making Mariah the second artist in history, and the first female performer, to accomplish that feat. The follow-up single, "One Sweet Day" (recorded with Boyz II Men), followed suit and stayed at the top of the charts for a record 16 weeks. Butterfly (1997) revealed an even greater hip-hop flavor than its predecessor, scoring hits with "Honey" and "My All." The following year witnessed the release of greatest hits collection #1's, which included a new song, "When You Believe" (from the film The Prince of Egypt), a duet with Whitney Houston which paired the two most successful female recording artists in pop history. Rainbow, with its chart-topping tune "Heartbreaker," followed in 1999. In 2001, Mariah signed with Virgin Records, which released Glitter, the soundtrack album to the film of the same name, with Mariah in her first lead acting role. She has also been featured in the films The Bachelor (1999) and Wisegirls (2002).
Mariah Carey - We Be...
Mariah Carey fuels p...
Oscars 2010: Mariah ...
Mariah Carey with Ni...